This delicious dish keeps well in the fridge for 4/5 days. Pictured with Sea Bass, it can provide the base for a very tasty lunch or the accompaniment to any supper dish.
INGREDIENTS (SERVES 4-6)
- 2 Red onions, chopped into quarters
- 4Cloves of garlic, finely sliced
- 2 Aubergines, chopped into 2.5cm chunks
- 3 Courgettes, chopped into 2.5cm chunks
- 3 Red of yellow peppers, chopped into 2.5cm chunks
- 6 Ripe tomatoes
- 1/2 bunch of fresh basil
- Olive oil
- A few sprigs of fresh thyme
- 400g Tin of quality plum tomatoes
- 1tbsp Balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 Lemon
- Prep ingredients before starting
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a very large saucepan over medium heat, add the chopped aubergines, courgettes and peppers and fry for around 5 minutes
- Spoon the cooked veg into a large bowl
- To the pan, add the onion, garlic, basil stalks and thyme leaves with another drizzle of oil, if needed.
- Fry for 10-15 minutes, or until softened and golden
- Return the cooked veg to the pan and stir in the fresh and tinned tomatoes, the balsamic and a good pinch of sea salt and black pepper
- Mix well, breaking up the tomatoes with the back of a spoon. Cover the pan and simmer over a low heat for 40-45 minutes, or until reduced
- Tear in the basil leaves, finely grate in the lemon zest and adjust the seasoning, if needed before serving
- Serve with your chosen protein – eggs, haloumi, feta, tuna, sardines, cannelli beans, quinoa etc
Recipe from Giuditta Del Vecchio, Nutritional Therapist.